Leadership & Community Engagement LLC
“Being a part of the Leadership and Community Engagement LLC, I have the unique opportunity to be surrounded by leaders of all different kinds of backgrounds, past, and ethical/moral codes. I am able to learn and grow as a leader with others with the same purpose.” – Roger Dean II (resident on the floor)
Join the Leadership and Community Engagement LLC floor!
Do you enjoy getting involved in the local community to make a positive difference? You can live on campus with other students like you - come join us next year on the second floor of Piedmont. The students here are interested in a range of social change issues: health care, homelessness, animal welfare, the environment and more. They're addressing them through community service, advocacy, and political action. This year's LCE LLC residents say their floor-mates are like a family. On our last survey, 100% of them said they would recommend it to a friend.
So what exactly have we done?
In the Fall Semester of 2012 alone, the LLC has:
- Gone to the EDGE, a team-building ropes course
- Gone on a Service trip to Assateague Island and Ocean City to restore dunes
- Volunteered at Greenfest
- Participated in AIDS Walk
- Created a LLC Blog, which you can find here.
- Volunteered at Environmental Studies on the Piedmont
- Created blankets for animals in shelters and children in transitional housing with Maddie’s Blankets
- Volunteered at the Capital Area Food bank
- And much more!
Be a part of a loving, supportive community of people as dedicated to community engagement, service, and leadership as you are! The Leadership and Community Engagement LLC will offer you the chance to practice your skills, discover your talents, and become an active part of solutions through community engagement and service.
Learn more about yourself and develop your leadership potential through service to others.
- Participate in a 1-credit class each semester that will enhance your understanding of local and global issues, in order to make ethical choices and become civically engaged in the classroom and beyond.
- Explore potential career options that mesh your academic goals and civic commitment to social concerns
- Gain the confidence and skills that you need to succeed as active citizens and leaders in community service on and off campus.
- Make a difference in your own life and the lives of others through volunteering and community building.
- Feel more at home on campus! Experience a residential setting that is an active, supportive, exciting place to learn.
- Join the community in one LLC activity per month and two LLC-wide events each semester.
- Participate in a one-credit course in Fall 2013 and Spring 2014.
- Contribute to creating a vibrant, fun, engaged community on your floor.
How to Apply
Click here and click on General Application Information to find out the steps to applying for an LLC.
The deadline has already passed for upperclassmen to join.
However, incoming freshmen are welcome to apply!
People will be accepted on a first come, first serve, basis and there are limited spots, so be sure to apply as soon as possible!