Leadership & Community Engagement LLC
“Being a part of the Leadership and Community Engagement LLC, I have the unique opportunity to be surrounded by leaders of all different kinds of backgrounds, past, and ethical/moral codes. I am able to learn and grow as a leader with others with the same purpose.” – Roger Dean II (resident on the floor)
Join the Leadership and Community Engagement Living Learning Community!
The Leadership and Community Engagement LLC offers students the opportunity to live with like-minded peers interested in exploring social concerns, such as homelessness, youth empowerment and environment conservation, in order to become an active part of solutions through community engagement. Residents examine local and global issues through academic study and activism, with an emphasis on leadership, positive change and active citizenship.
So what exactly have we done?
This year, the LLC has:
- Gone to the EDGE, a team-building ropes course
- Volunteered regularly with Robinson Square (FACETS) by tutoring, mentoring and assisting in after-school programs
- Gone on a Service trip to Assateague Island to restore dunes
- Participated in AIDS Walk
- Participated in and helped to facilitate reflection at the Hunger Banquet
- Volunteered at Environmental Studies on the Piedmont
- Created blankets for animals in shelters and children in transitional housing with Maddie’s Blankets
- And much more!
Be a part of a loving, supportive community of people as dedicated to community engagement, service, and leadership as you are! The Leadership and Community Engagement LLC will offer you the chance to practice your skills, discover your talents, and become an active part of solutions through community engagement and service.
Learn more about yourself and develop your leadership potential through service to others.
Participate in a 1-credit class each semester that will enhance your understanding of local and global issues, in order to make ethical choices and become civically engaged in the classroom and beyond.
Explore potential career options that mesh your academic goals and civic commitment to social concerns
Gain the confidence and skills that you need to succeed as active citizens and leaders in community service on and off campus.
Make a difference in your own life and the lives of others through volunteering and community building.
Feel more at home on campus! Experience a residential setting that is an active, supportive, exciting place to learn.
- Volunteer 15 hours per semester wth a local community partner
- Participate in a one-credit course in Fall 2014 and Spring 2015.
- Contribute to creating a vibrant, fun, engaged community on your floor.
How to Apply
If you are an incoming first-year student, click here.
The deadline for upperclassmen has passed. We hope you will consider us again in the future.
People will be accepted on a first come first serve basis and there are limited spots, so be sure to apply as soon as possible!